Do you want to do some group riding this fall and winter but don't relish the thought of riding in the cold, wet, or dark? Now you can ride in the safety of your garage or den or living room, starting this Thursday, October 7.
What: BIKES Club member Paul Vermeulen will be leading a weekly online club ride in Zwift.
When: Thursdays, 6:45 p.m. for one hour.
Where: In Zwiftopia, from the comfort of your garage or den or living room.
How: On your smart trainer and phone/tablet/tv.
Why: Because it'll be a fun way to maintain a little fitness over the winter!
Please Note that you will need a Zwift account to join the ride and some sort of trainer system. Let me or Paul know you're interested in joining the group. Paul will send you an invitation to join the meetup.
Let me know any questions. We hope you can join us!
And if you need an indoor trainer for winter riding, Sharing Wheels has both rollers (that you literally ride on!) and trainers that attach to your rear wheel. Not sure if they are Zwift compatible, but they only cost about $20.
Budget Zwift Setup Vs Premium | What Is The Difference?
I'm interested in about a month.
James, I think you can use Zwift with pretty minimal equipment, such as a "dumb" trainer or rollers, with a speedometer that can talk to your phone. It might not be as accurate or fun as having a "smart" trainer that adjusts to the hills and drafting.
You summarized the video I linked.
Here's an update to our virtual group rides. I’m starting a weekly virtual group ride on Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m. It’s on a platform that you might not be familiar with - RGT Cycling.
1) It’s similar to Zwift in that it’s an animated world - but the routes are on real roads!
2) It is FREE! No membership is required to join group rides. Just use the RGT Cycling app on your device and use the link in the email.
3) You still need a smart trainer setup, just like for Zwift
4) RGT is less “game like” than Zwift and more oriented toward group rides (and racing). Therefore, it’s a bit simpler and the physics of group riding (like drafting) is more realistic.
5) There can be bot-riders on the course (as well as real riders on standard routes) which makes it fun.
6) Paid accounts ($10/month - less than Zwift) can load up real routes (from a GPX file) and create a “magic road” which you can ride.
7) Paid accounts can also set up group rides and events, and free accounts can join those rides - sweet!
I’m inviting you all to join me Tuesdays. Each week will be a different route. This is not limited to BIKES Club members and is NOT a club sanctioned or insured event. It's open to all.
If you want to join us, let me know and I'll send you the link to join our group. It'll be fun! Then if you like it, you can invite your friends to join us.
Check it out at rgtcycling.com. You will need the app to join the ride, but again, it’s free to ride with me!
Rides + Events Calendar
B.I.K.E.S. Club is a members-based club. You must be a member to join us on our rides and tours. Our dues are low and are a real bargain. Won't you join us?
Join B.I.K.E.S. Club
McClinchy Mile - the premier North Sound cycling event!
B.I.K.E.S. Club of Snohomish County PO Box 5242
Everett, WA, 98206